In buying a gaming ram, you must consider the capacity, speed, and the price. We believe that the Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series from Amazon.com is the best gaming ram to choose. It has 16GB total capacity, 3200MHz memory speed, and 5 RGB lighting zones.
Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz 16GB Kit
Not only is this ram the best looking but it might just offer the best ram speed for gaming at a blistering 3200 MHz and it comes in at a respectable 16 GB.
Corsair CMY32GX3M4A1600C9 Vengeance Pro
For those who demand more and run a lot of applications, we pick this line of Corsair ram as some of our best ram for gaming. It’s great for streaming and running games along with other multiple applications at once.
Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 Vengeance
It doesn’t have the quickest ram speed on the market but it’s highly affordable and it comes with a nice capacity for all of your basic gaming needs. It’s not the best ram for gaming but it’ll serve great on a multi-task computer.
After testing more than 15 best gaming rams for 2 months now, we're confident we've tried the good and the bad.
Best Gaming Ram 2019
|Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz 16GB Kit||Low Mid $$$||Real Leather||Read Review|
|Corsair CMY32GX3M4A1600C9 Vengeance Pro 32GB||Mid $$$||Real Leather||Check Price on Amazon.com|
|Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 Vengeance 8GB||Low $$$||Real Leather||Check Price on Amazon.com|
|Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz||Low $$$||Real Leather||Check Price on Amazon.com|
|Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance 16GB||Low $$$||Real Leather||Check Price on Amazon.com|
|CORSAIR VENGEANCE LED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4||Low Mid $$$||Real Leather||Check Price on Amazon.com|
|G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)||Low Mid $$$||Real Leather||Check Price on Amazon.com|
|Patriot 16GB(2x8GB) Viper III DDR3 1866MHz||Low $$$||Real Leather||Check Price on Amazon.com|
|Budget 16GB Ram – CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16||Low Mid $$$||Real Leather||Check Price on Amazon.com|
|Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB)||Low $$$||Real Leather||Check Price on Amazon.com|
Ram is an essential part of your computer, whether you’re using it for work-related activity or you’re using it for gaming. Finding the best gaming ram depends on a lot of different factors. A lot of people underestimate their ram and some people even wonder what does ram do for gaming in the first place? Your ram essentially determines how many applications can be open at once but there’s so much more to it than that, including speed, capacity and other components of your computer. If you’re a gamer, we’ll try to help you find the best gaming ram and the best ram to fit your computer, because not all of them are equal.
When we examine ram and what would be the best gaming ram, we look at a few essential different things. We look at the speed, the capacity and the overall reviews of what people have said about the ram. All ram is made different, so all of them will perform different tasks at a different efficiency.
The Top 10 Things to Consider
- You have to consider your motherboard and make sure that the PC version of the ram will fit into your available slots.
- You have to make sure you have enough slots to even fit the ram because ram is usually sold in different sticks, whether it’s 1, 2, 3 or even 4.
- How much multi-tasking do you do and do you run a lot of heavy resource programs? If no, then you probably don’t need that much ram.
- Look at the overall speed of the ram because there are so many different opinions out there on what the best ram speed for gaming is. More is obviously better but you don’t need THAT much.
- The brand of ram is usually factored in as well because Corsair usually makes great ram sticks that never die.
- The voltage of the ram is another factor to consider, so make sure it won’t cause any harm to your motherboard.
- What’s the timing of the ram and is it something that will be beneficial to your computer?
- What are real customers saying about the ram and has it given them a noticeable benefit?
- Does the company producing the ram offer a warranty? From our experience, the best ram for gaming should always come with a warranty.
- Can you overclock the memory? This isn’t commonly done but some die-hard gamers out there like to overclock their memory for maximum results.
How to Choose the Best Gaming Ram
When you’re selecting the best gaming ram, let’s start first with your motherboard. To determine the best gaming ram, we need to make sure your motherboard supports the voltage (it usually will). We also need to make sure that you have the available allotted slots for the ram. The slots are usually right next to the graphics card or the processing unit. Next, is the overall speed of the ram. There’s a lot of debate out there about the best ram speed for gaming and what it does.
You honestly shouldn’t really need anything over 2,400 MHz but having more is always better. If you’re using a workstation or a work computer, then 1,600 or even lower is just fine. The overall capacity of the ram really is the last factor and people tend to over-exaggerate what they actually need for ram. 8 GB is more than enough for gaming but if you plan on live streaming or running multiple heavy resources using games at once, you might want to bump up to 16 GB. Sure, 32 GB or higher is nice to have but it doesn’t really offer much of a benefit, at least not one that you’ll notice.
Best Quality Ram – Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 3200 MHz 16GB
Patriot Viper if nothing else is one of the most flamboyant pieces of ram hardware we’ve ever seen. It has really bright lights on it and it has quite a few different RGB color profiles which are pretty cool. They’re also really not that expensive considering it’s 3200 MHz which is insanely fast ram.
- Comes in a kit of 2 sticks and has 3200 MHz speed
- Has a 16 GB capacity and comes with a base frequency of PC4-17000
- You can control the RGB zones to determine what color is displayed
- Comes in a 288 pin format which is normal
- You get a limited lifetime warranty with your purchase
- You can set up this ram for automatic overclocking so you don’t have to mess with much
- They could do a bit more testing at the factory because they don’t test the ram at its optimal speed
Best Workstation Ram – Corsair CMY32GX3M4A1600C9 Vengeance Pro 32GB
If you want great ram that comes in a bundle, this is the best gaming ram for you. Sure, it doesn’t have the fastest ram speed and it’s probably not the best for gaming but it definitely handles its own. It comes at a moderately good price and offers a lot of capacity, so it’s definitely worth it for that value.
- Is really small and fits inside most motherboards without issue
- An easy to find DIMM format that fits most motherboards
- Has a very low voltage of only 1.5 V
- Has 32 GB of raw power which means you can handle a lot of different apps at once
- A decent speed of 1,600 MHz which can handle everything
- Fits a 240 pin which is great for most modern systems
- Slightly pricey for the speed but it does have 32 GB so that kind of overrides it
Best Value Ram – Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 Vengeance 8GB
Corsair generally makes pretty great products, especially when it comes to ram. They’re also known to make really effective and affordable ram modules, so you won’t have to worry about breaking an arm and a leg to afford their ram. They always do a lot of specials on their ram as well, even with their already low prices.
- Corsair has 24/7 support that’s immensely helpful and is always available
- The Vengeance series is proven to provide blazing fast speeds and accurate memory
- You get a lifetime warranty with the Vengeance series from Corsair
- Only covers one stick and 8 GB is more than enough for most people
- Has a fine 1600 MHz speed which has been factory tested
- Comes with a small voltage of only 1.5 V for motherboards
- The 1600 speed is a bit low for the price, considering 2400 isn’t far off but this is still a great deal
High-Value Ram – Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit
- Comes with heat spreading technology to ensure your ram won’t overheat
- Extremely easy to install and you don’t have to jam the sticks in there like other sticks
- They’re guaranteed to last and backed by HyperX
- You get a lifetime warranty on the ram sticks
- You can get automatic overclocking with software, but you need to make sure this is enabled in the BIOS
- The voltage for this ram is one of the lowest, at only 1.35 V
- The outer casing of the ram does make it kind of hard to fit inside of some motherboards so be wary of that
Cheap Bundle Ram - Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance 16GB
Another great product from Corsair, it comes in at 16 GB and it’s not the quickest speed but you can definitely stream with this or you can play some hardcore video games because 16 GB is more than enough to do whatever it is that you’re looking for.
- Fits in most models and motherboards easily snap in
- Easy to overclock and there’s software to help you out
- This ram is compatible with most systems and motherboards
- Has its own XMP profile to help you with overclocking
- Has great reliability and an insanely low fail rate
- Has a lifetime warranty that’s limited
- The design can be a little large in some cases, so make sure this ram fits in your case
High-Quality Ram - CORSAIR VENGEANCE LED 16GB
And finally, one of the higher qualities of Corsair products comes to the VENGEANCE LED 16 GB. 16 GB is so much ram and people greatly overestimate how much ram they need. You can easily live stream with this line of ram without any issues what so ever.
- Only comes in at 2 sticks for easy fitting
- Has a nice clock of up to 2666 MHz which has been factory tested
- Has a unique design and looks great sitting in the case
- Backed by the Corsair guaranteed warranty if anything goes wrong
- Insanely fast ram that handles all of your modern applications and streaming applications
- Easily overclockable thanks to the XMP profile and software provided
- Overclocking temperatures and speeds can be a bit unpredictable so you have to find the right sweet spot
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB
In our opinion, the G.Skill TridentZ has some of the best looking ram sticks in the business. They’re very colorful and they have the RGB technology, which is really cool to look at in your tower, as long as you don’t get distracted. It has really great speed and it fits with most pins today, which sits at 288.
- Has a fitting feature of 2400 DDR4 and PC4 19200
- Has great timing, measured at 15-15-15-35
- Has an extremely low voltage of only 1.2 V
- The CAS latency of this memory is standard at 15
- G.SKILL has a long history of being reliable
- Some people with older motherboards have BSOD problems
Hot Value/Fast Selling Ram - Patriot 16GB(2x8GB) Viper III DDR3 1866MHz
Patriot isn’t well known in the industry but they’ve proven themselves able to produce some pretty high-quality ramparts. This one is a decent speed bundle of 1866 MHz.
- Comes with a heatsink that effectively keeps the ram cool
- The voltage is low and only comes in at 1.5 V
- You can overclock this ram easily with an XMP profile 1.3
- Has a pretty decent frequency of 1866 MHz
- Has a lot of memory for both gaming, and productivity
- Some people reported that they got a different color on their order
Budget 16GB Ram - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16
This is one of the more premiere Corsair Vengeance packages and it comes with a 16 GB DDR4 piece. It comes with two sticks, so you’ll have plenty of room for expansion and it runs at 2666 MHz, so it’s got plenty of speed without any problems at all.
- Has a blazing fast speed of 2666 MHz which is great for any purpose
- The height was made in this model to fit all motherboards and cases
- You get access to XMP 2.0 for easy overclocking and support
- Easily overclocked and Corsair offers great support
- Tested with different intel models to make sure it’s compatible with every Intel motherboard
- Every single stick is stress tested to ensure that it’s ready for shipping
- A lot of people are having trouble getting them to run at 3200 MHz when overclocking but they’re still quick
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB Kit
Kingston has never really disappointed people when it comes to their ram. These come in at a pretty decent speed, they’re DDR4 and there are only two sticks, so what’s to hate? It’s not a lot of rams but it’s more than enough.
- Easily installed and easier to plug in than most ram sticks
- They’re highly cost efficient and you’ll save money
- Each ram stick has been tested rigorously
- Cheap and cost effective for people on a budget
- Easy low-profile design and a low bridge allows the sticks to fit in most cases without issue
- Easily overclocked with automatic overclocking technology
- Some Windows 10 users reported crashes before they got the major update
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q: How much ram do I need?
A: It really depends on your specific needs and people tend to overshoot or overthink this by a long shot. If you’re just playing some basic games or using this computer as a workstation, then 8 GB is just fine. However, the best gaming ram can vary between 8 GB to 16 GB, depending on what you’re doing and if you’re live streaming, you’ll more than certainly want to go with 16 GB. When would you ever need 32 GB or more? Never, it’s just cool to have the performance boost if you have the money to spend to buy the best gaming ram.
Q: What does ram do for gaming?
A: Not just gaming but ram essentially allows your computer to run multiple programs at once. Each program you run on your computer has a certain amount of memory that it uses up. The more memory you have, the more of these programs that you can run. What does ram do for gaming? It’ll allow more background applications to run, which will in part, help speed your game up and not let other background applications slow it down.
If you’re looking for something that’s entry level, that’s cheap and something everyone can afford, we’d suggest the best gaming ram on a budget as the Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 Vengeance. It’s 8 GB, it’s DDR3 and it operates at a decent 1600 MHz. It’s not the fastest runner on the track but it definitely gets the job done. Looking for some best gaming ram that blows the competition out of the water? We’d recommend none other than the Patriot Viper Gaming RGB series DDR4.
It comes in at a massively nice 3200 MHz which is more than fast enough for any amount of applications you want to run, it looks really great and lasts for a long time too. The majority of the ram sticks we cover are 288 pins, so if you want to know what the best gaming ram is, it’s more than likely going to be 288 pins, because that’s what most modern motherboards support.