Bean bag chairs, the underrated comfortable chairs that you’re more likely to find in a man cave or a teenager’s bedroom. However, a lot of adults use bean bag chairs to because they’re comfortable. They’re not talked about a lot today and they’re not even looked at as real or serious chairs like computer gaming chairs. They come in all different kinds of shapes and sizes and are usually relatively cheap. The thing that makes bean bags so great is the padding inside of them. Bean bags are filled with soft padding that’s cut up into hundreds of pieces.
When you sit down, this allows the padding to flow around your figure and form. It’s not like a traditional office chair where you sit on a hard surface with a thin layer of padding on top of the interior. Bean bag chairs let you sink into the chair and provide a comfortable experience that some users may find difficulty getting up from. How much can you expect to spend on a bean bag chair? Some of them are sold for as low as $XX and some can cost over a hundreds of dollar. It depends on the texture used, where they’re sold, what brand they are and other important figures as well.
Top 15 Adult Bean Bag Chairs
We’ve scoured through the internet to bring you the top 10 bean bag chairs currently on the market today. We’ve went through numerous customer reviews, the pros, the cons and everything else about every single chair listed in this list.
11) David Faux Suede 8 Feet Lounger Bean Bag
This is one of the larger bean bag chairs that we’ve ever seen. This is a long 8-foot lounging bean bag made by Great Deal Furniture. The David Faux Suede 8 Feet Lounger Bean Bag is exactly as it implies, a massive 8-foot long lounger that may go great in any room, as long as there’s enough space to accompany it. What’s great about this bean bag is that it can accompany more than one person while the typical lounger only accompanies one person. The fabric is made out of a microfiber product and is really smooth to the touch.
- Is a massive sprawl of 8 feet in length by 6 feet
- Doesn’t get punctured easily and features a nice puncture proof fabric material that’s easy to stitch up if necessary
- Has a double zipper safety precaution for the zipper in case of accidental spills or children running around.
- Is moderately priced for people on a budget and way cheaper than a couch.
- It does take a little while to expand and get used to so it may look smaller for the first few days that you own it.
12) Gold Medal Large Leather Look Tear Drop Bean Bag
Despite the name of the chair being the Gold Medal large leather looking tear drop bean bag, the chair is not actually colored in gold. The name of the company is Gold Medal bean bags because they produce award winning chairs. This chair from the name implied, looks exactly like a tear drop. This particular model is displayed as Navy blue but you can choose from a wide assortment of different colors that Gold Medal Bean Bags offers. It’s also made locally in the USA so you’ll pay for less for shipping, which is a huge plus and money saver.
- Offers a wide variety of different color selections and all of them look naturally great thanks to the leather material used in this production of this chair
- The stitching was made for intense use and is double-stitched, so you won’t have to worry about beans spilling out when you sit down or the seams bursting
- The polystyrene beans used in the chair is one of the biggest selling points because they expand and they’re some of the best quality beans
- The zipper is children proof and it comes with safety features to ensure children can’t easily unzip it.
Protects your children from unwanted harm with a child proof safety zipper
Is made locally in the USA
Comes designed with high-quality vinyl leather for comfort
The stitching is done twice over to make sure that this chair lasts a long time and won’t burst on impact like other bean bag chairs typically do.
It may be slightly smaller than it appears in the pictures, so this probably won’t work for larger customers
13) Intex Beanless Bag Inflatable Chair ( 42 X 41 X 27)
Bean bag chairs aren’t just for man-caves. They’re a great addition to any gaming or lounge room as well. The Intex Beanless Bag Inflatable Chair comes in a nice beige color that can work in just about any room, as it won’t mess up the flow of the décor. Our one big concern when it comes to inflatable chairs though are holes and this chair is relatively cheap, so how does it hold up?
- The beige neutral color helps the chair blend into the surrounding environment, regardless of the room
- The lightweight materials used in the chair help make it easy to store away and it’s not a large chair
- Thanks to the design of the chair, the flow can expand the chair relatively quickly and it’s quick to deflate as well
- Lightweight and it’s easy to store since it can be deflated in a matter of mere seconds
- Instead of looking flat, Intex decided to give the chair some vinyl siding which is marked at 15-gauge quality
- While the task of inflating a chair might sound daunting or repetitive, this chair inflates really quickly so you won’t have to spend much time on it
- Works well with patching kits if you ever poke a hole in the chair or need to patch the chair up in an emergency
- Works in any room and looks great in any room as well, if it’s a lounging chair, a gaming chair, a reading chair or even for watching movies
The front section does tend to fill up with a bit more air, which isn’t adjustable but you do get accustomed to it after a couple of days
14)Jaxx 6 Foot Cocoon – Large Bean Bag Chair For adults
Jaxx isn’t a common name we’re used to seeing but they’ve made a lot of high-end high-quality bean bag chairs according to a lot of their customer reviews, so we decided to try out the Jaxx 6 Foot Cocoon – Large Bean Bag Chair For adults. The color pattern was really nice, even though they offer a lot of different color schemes for the same price. The pricing point was relatively decent and something we’d expect from a high-end bean bag chair. It’s a large chair, implied by the name and has a design that wraps around you and acts like a normal reclining chair would.
- There’s two different positions available with this bean bag chair, you can lay it down flat like a bed or you can have it sit upright like a chair
- There’s pressure in the right areas that provides relief and support while remaining soft
- Goes great in any room for any purpose whether it be a sleepover, movies, gaming or just lounging
- The chairs are made locally in the USA straight out of Atlanta, Georgia
- Has support on your lower back, neck, head, mid-back and legs as it provides pressure relieving support while remaining soft
- The cover is made out of a lush polyester that’s soft and easy to remove and wash
- Jaxx offers incredible customer support with a toll-free hotline and a real representative to answer any questions or concerns you may have
- The assembly of the chair is our only major concern as it’s not easy to do and takes some time to fill it up
15) Lumaland Luxury 6-Foot Bean Bag Chair
The Lumaland Luxury 6-foot bean bag chair looks like a couch when you first look at it. It’s a pretty large chair and the pricing point seems to be on pair with a high-end office chair, so what do you get in this bean bag chair? We’re no stranger to Lumaland products when it comes to bean bag chairs. They usually produce pretty top notch and high-end quality products. This particular product is 6 feet in size but it also comes in 3 feet, 4 feet and even 5 feet if you want something a bit smaller for space or small children.
- It comes in a tiny box, which is a small fraction of its original size and upon unboxing it, the chair will fully expand to its natural size which is 6 feet within 2 days
- This chair is made entirely of foam without any plastic parts of uncomfortable parts to sit on
- The material was made with a micro suede cover, so it’s easily washable and it’s great for people who have pets and children, that tend to carry germs and dirt everywhere
- Is a color neutral brown so that it will fit and match any room or décor setting
- The foam used inside of the chair is high-class and high-quality, so durability is guaranteed
- Great for adults and children of any ages and it’s pet friendly as well
- The same size as a small sofa but without the extra weight and awkwardness of moving it
- You do have to get used to a particular smell for the first week you have it but some people don’t even notice the smell
Bean Bag Chair vs. Foam Seat Chair
Most traditional gaming chairs feature a seat made with a foam cushion inside. The foam is designed to be comfortable and provide support at the same time. So how do bean bag chairs stand up against a normal chair? Here are a few of the advantages of switching to a bean bag as your gaming chair of choice.
While it’s true that bean bags do nothing to support the back and neck, they do encourage you to sit evenly because they conform to your body. And to be honest, most gamers are sitting forward in their gaming chairs, even if a back or neck rest is available. So there is no additional support from a regular chair when you lean forward to focus. A bean bag chair actually encourages you to improve your posture when you sit forward in it because there is no chair back to slump your lower back against.
There are many comfortable foam seat chairs, but one thing they all have in common is a solid frame of some sort under the foam. And the longer you sit, the more you may become aware of the feeling of the frame beneath the cushion. Not so for a bean bag chair, which has no frame at all. You simply sink into the supportive beans. They provide unique support because the individuals beans are firm, yet their small size allows them to move around, creating a comfortable space for sitting that is sized to your body and doesn’t feel hard beneath you.
The idea of using bean-shaped items as a seat filler has been around for centuries. In fact, traditional meditation cushions are filled with buckwheat hulls and other small plant parts similar to beans. Today’s bean bags are filled with artificial beans that last longer than plant-derived fillers, but they still work the same. This type of seating technology is still the top choice for long periods of seated meditation today.
Sitting in low chairs like bean bags has actually been proven to be good for your body. You have to use more of your muscles to lower yourself into and get up from the seat. It’s a small difference that adds up over time. And it helps to prevent you from getting stiff joints and tight muscles.
Bean bag chairs have not traditionally been marketed as an ergonomic design, but the truth is the provide many health benefits. And some of those benefits, such as keeping muscles in better condition, cannot be gotten from traditional foam seat chairs.
FAQ ( Frequently Asked Questions about bean bag chairs
Beanbags aren't just for children. (Or non-lethal weaponry.) They're a comfortable alternative to a traditional seat, but they can take some getting used to.
To help you to decide if a beanbag chair will be right for you, we've provided a FAQ with some commonly asked questions.
Q. What are the benefits of using a bean bag chair?
They're easily stored, and arguably more comfortable than the traditional alternative. They help users to relax, and they're recommended to help with meditation. If you're stressed, something as simple as a beanbag could help you to chill out.
Q. Which material should I choose for the stuffing?
Where possible, look to buy expanded polystyrene. (EPS) Most beanbags use a substance that's similar to styrofoam. It's also possible to replace spilled EPS in bulk online. So if your beanbag has seen better days, have a look at replacing the innards.
Q. Are they suitable for users suffering from back pain?
Beanbag chairs don't offer the ergonomic support you'll find with a dedicated seat. Regardless, they're fairly comfortable, although not the best to use for extended periods. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, with bigger chairs offering more support. You can also buy a bean bag with neck support.
Q. Don't they break fairly easy?
It depends on a variety of factors. The materials will play a big part, as well as how much use you expect to get from it. General wear and tear is always going to occur eventually, but high-quality brands are usually made for long-term use. Most often, the material rips or the zip breaks. Both can be mended fairly easily if you wish.
Q. Which material should I choose for the outer layer?
There's no right or wrong answer. It's generally down to personal preference, as they don't always affect the overall quality of the product. Leather might be expensive, but you can always go for the faux variety.
Q. Should I buy a small or large bean bag chair?
Budget and space should be the most important factors when making your choice. There's no sense in getting an oversized chair if you don't have the room, and they are often bigger than you might expect. On the other hand,if you can fit a larger chair, there's nothing quite like sinking into one at the end of the day.
Q. How often do they need to be replaced?
As we've mentioned, chairs can often be repaired instead of replaced. From the innards to the zip, there's nothing to stop you from extending use with a bit of DIY. They won't last forever, but they are worth the money if you're not too reckless.
Q. Can bean bag chairs really help babies with colic?
If your toddler suffers from colic, there's a special range of bean bags designed specially to help. They work by holding the child in an upright position. Of course, it's best to check with a medical professional before you rush out to get one, but they have been useful for numerous parents.
Q. Can I use a bean bag outdoors?
We wouldn't recommend taking a normal one out into the garden, but some bean bag chairs are machine washable. Others are designed for inside and outside use, so it's worth looking at an outdoor bean bag if you're interested.
Q. Are bean bags suitable for gaming?
If you've ever used a bean bag for extended gaming sessions, you'll probably have noticed that they don't stay comfortable for that long. If you're leaning in towards the screen, there's not much a normal bean bag chair can do to provide neck or back or support. If you're worried, it's best to look for a gaming bean bag chair, or a dedicated gaming seat.
A bean bag chair should be a nice center of relaxation for a King or Queen when they’ve had a hard day at work or just want to relax a little. Buying and selecting which chair is best for you is rather simple: Plan accordingly due to your budget, figure out what kind of style you’re looking for, determine which room you’re going to put the chair in and if you have adequate space for it and make sure the foam is high quality. All of the Bean bag chairs listed here are of the highest quality and have some of the best materials used in them.