Looking for the top best ergonomic chair that perfectly fits your body with multi-way rests for utmost comfort is quite a tough. We think the Steelcase Amia Task Chair from Amazon.com is the Best Choice. A value-friendly chair that provides long-term comfort.
Steelcase Amia Task Chair
Designed to aid relieve back & shoulder exhaustion.
Indoor Advantage Certified. BIFMA e3 L2 Certified. Environmental friendly.
Herman Miller Classic Aeron Task Chair
The Patented Kinemat tilt allows you to move naturally with the chair in tow.
PostureFit provides premium support to your body
VECELO Home Office Chair
Comfortable and breathable backrest. Cool and 5-star comfort seating experience.
Has adjustable armrests.
Half a year ago, we initiated a series of tests on 36 office chairs. We have determined which are the best ergonomic office chairs among the rest.
What is an Ergonomic Chair?
So, just what is an ergonomic chair exactly?
They’re highly adjustable chairs to suit any user within very broad limits. Ergonomic chairs are typically intended for those who work at a desk for eight or more hours a day. If that sounds like you, read on.
Many ergonomic chairs come with specialized lumbar support systems and seat contours that are designed to give you tailored support and comfort that will minimize fatigue. The best ergonomic office chair systems even provide adjustable lower lumbar supports and seat surfaces. The more premium products will provide more adjustable functionality in your chair, many of which can be fine-tuned to deliver a unique experience to each user. Doctors and chiropractors usually recommended these types of chairs to folk with bad or sensitive backs. The best ergonomic office chairs are also particularly good at correcting bad posture and encouraging a healthy sedentary profile, as they can slowly be adjusted over time to correct faults in your posture.
Most chairs provide some type of support, but a specialist seat will ensure that you're looking after yourself properly in the long term. These best ergonomic office chairs tend to be more expensive because of the added benefits and build costs, but they are available at a range of different price points. We’ve listed a few on either end of the scale, from $50.00 to $1000.00.
Some people are advised to buy one office chair with ergonomic benefits, but everybody can benefit from the best ergonomic chair.
If you want to learn about more of the benefits of an ergonomic chair, check out the section at the bottom of this article. For now, let’s get started with the top five best ergonomic office chairs on the market at the moment.
VECELO Home Office Chair with PU Padded Seat Cushion
- The Vecello presented here is offering is the best ergonomic chair if you're operating on a somewhat tight budget. As one of the cheapest on the list, it doesn't have all of the perks you'll find in a chair that's 3x the price, but it's a damn sight better than buying a normal chair with no support. It’ll help with posture, slowly repositioning your back to fit the chair after extended use.
- It's designed with lumbar support in mind, so it'll give your lower back decent support if you plan to use it regularly. The armrests are repositionable, with eight different settings to choose from. While it isn’t the best by a long shot, it’s affordable and usable.
- The mesh design doesn't exactly scream luxury, while it lacks many of the features found in the mid-tier range.
It lacks the added protection and luxury of some of the other chairs on this list, but it does the job properly. For the price, you're getting more than your money's worth, and it’s a great chair if you fit the seat.
The striking visual design of this chair catches the eye pretty easily. I’m also a fan of the color choice made with these chairs. They’ve chosen a good standard color to complement the chair without any drastic design choices. It also features lower lumbar support that is tension adjustable. While it isn’t as in-depth and complex as some of the more expensive chairs on the market, it certainly gets the job done and it looks good while doing it.
As an entry-level chair, it'll keep you going for the short term, although it might be better to upgrade slightly to the best ergonomic chair if you're planning on using the chair constantly. Take a look at the chairs below first.
Office Star Brand Mesh 2-to-1 Synchro & Lumbar Support Managers Chair
- The Office Star chair is slightly pricier, but you're paying for the inbuilt lumbar support. It’s still reasonably cheap considering what’s on offer, retailing for a fraction compared to some of the better-known brands on this list.
- It holds up to the rest, for the most part, thanks to the range of ergonomic options, which we’ll discuss below.
- The arms have an impressive wingspan, making the chair a little wider, although they are optional if you'd prefer more freedom. They can also be lifted up, so it’s really down to your personal preference.
- There's lockable tilt control, (for the upright position) and you can adjust the tension to best suit your unique frame. The build is sturdy, and the base and padding make it feel even sturdier. It’s a comfortable chair, and it’ll provide support during extended use.
- Reports have been mixed concerning the longevity and durability of the chair, with numerous accounts of replacements around the two-year mark.
Office Star has a decent range of chairs on the market. If you want the best ergonomic chair at a decent price, it’s hard to beat their sturdy offering. Nonetheless, smaller users may want to go for something a little more fitted, such as the VECELO chair above at a somewhat lower the price.
This chair features wider lumbar support that is designed especially for larger folk. While the support itself isn’t adjustable, it’s flexible and compressible surface are designed to adjust to the way you move or the amount of pressure you place on the backrest. This chair also features a wider stance so that, as a larger person, you’ve got a bit more freedom in the chair while still being able to fit snuggly into the bucket. This is mostly due to the ergonomic design of the backrest and the slightly convex profile of the seat.
It’s not going to blow your mind, but it will help with posture and lumbar support in the long run.
BestOffice Mid Back Mesh Ergonomic Computer Desk Office Chair
- BestOffice has provided a well-reviewed, cheap option, that gives nearly everybody the chance to reap the benefits of an ergonomic chair. It has tilt control and a padded headrest, as well as open-air mesh for added support.
- It’s by far the cheapest on this list of best ergonomic chairs, and you’ll struggle to find anything close to this price that won’t fall apart instantly. It’s easy to assemble and it works well during light use. As long as you accept that it’s a cheap chair and you take care of it, there should be no problems.
- Of course, the cheap price ironically comes at a cost. The build quality isn’t the greatest, and it’s probably not going to last as long as the others on this list.
With this chair, there are now no excuses not to go ergonomic. It’s worth it for the health benefits alone, even if it’s only an entry-level model. $xx is still a lot of money if you’re living on the breadline, but your health also has to be considered.
It’s got it all: It’s cheap, it’s comfortable and it looks good. This is the ideal office chair if you’re shopping on a budget or if you want something that gets the job done without any extra bells and whistles. This chair is designed to keep your posture in check, most importantly. The isolated lumbar support is aimed more towards keeping your fatigue and stress levels low than it is at keeping you comfortable for short periods of time. It’s pretty much a perfect balance between all good properties, even if it is on the pricier side of the low-budget range.
You’ll have to take it for what it is, a low $xx chair with basic support.
Herman Miller Classic Aeron Task Chair
- On the other end of the pricing scale is the Herman Miller Classic Aeron Task Chair. Herman Miller is synonymous with quality seating, and you’re sure to be happy with your purchase if you go for it.
- The brand is known for their ergonomic builds, and they say they've done over 20 years of research into the “science of sitting”. It's held up as one of the best ergonomic chair in the industry, with adjustable pads and quality materials ensuring the most comfortable seat possible.
- You'll be supported in a range of different positions, as it adjusts to fit your form.
- The chair is available in a number of different sizes and colors, and it's sure to last for longer than the cheaper chairs on this list.
- The price point will inevitably scare some potential buyers away. Others were unhappy when they bought the seat, with problems ranging from the chair being “too ergonomic”, to not being worth the price.
If it's affordable for you, it's hard to say no to the Aeron. Complaints are generally few and far between, and it's held up as one of the best ergonomic chair that money can buy.
Some might remember the Aeron as the producer of the best ergonomic chairs that made them as popular as they are today. Herman-Miller has a track record of producing some of the best ergonomic office chairs in the world. Herman-Miller has spent decades refining the functionality and comfort of the Aeron, making it a highly sought after model for offices all around the world. The Aeron provides customizable functionality that’s designed to be personalized to your individual standards. And boy does it deliver. It does take a good while to set up and fine tune, unfortunately; and it can even be too complicated for some. Herman-Miller can provide designated representatives who’ll help you adjust and fine-tune your chair for you, should you need it.
There's a reason why it's an industry leader, and it's well worth the expenditure.
Steelcase Amia Task Chair
- Steelcase has produced a chair which is sure to fit any ergonomic requirements. The Amia will contour to fit your body, allowing for a wide range of movement in the seat. That includes left to right, and front to back movement.
- It'll take up to 300lbs of weight, so it's a trustworthy chair that lives up to its name. It might be pricey, but it does come with 10 years worth of warranty from Steelcase. In other words, they're confident that it's built to last.
- It's a stocky, solid chair, with the widest range of colors on the list. If you're looking for something special, it's worth checking out.
- Despite the many benefits, it is a pricey chair. It's offset somewhat by the ten-year warranty, and $70 per year isn't bad at all in the long run.
- There's no denying that the Steelcase is a great chair. It'll keep your body supported during use, and it's guaranteed to last for a long time. For heavier users, it's a welcome relief to know that the chair will always have your back. (Supported.)
The price brings it closer to Herman Miller products, but they're still cheap enough to be a viable alternative.
The Benefits of an Ergonomic Chair
It's possible that you've been advised to use an ergonomic chair by a medical professional. It's sound advice, because of the links to back pain and dodgy seating, but also due to the long-term health benefits associated with better chairs.
Numerous studies have shown the problems associated with inadequate seating. This ranges from lower back pain, to lower productivity due to an inability to stay focused and seated for extended periods.
Pregnant women can stay at work for longer, (if they’d like to) while disabled workers get to enjoy the benefits as well. With that being said, these best ergonomic chairs will help anyone, and it’s worth trying one out to see if there’s any difference for you.
Choosing the best ergonomic chair for you should help to improve your posture more efficiently than a couple of years with the army, while there’s the added perk of not having to attend boot camp.
It's not just a fad, or cynical marketing by chair manufacturers to increase sales of expensive products. (*Which would be pretty dastardly.)
The word Ergonomics might sound like it derives from Latin, but it's actually Ancient Greek. The prefix ergo means work, so it makes sense that ergonomic chairs allow you to keep going for longer.
Since anyone can benefit from the best ergonomic office chair, it's great that they're available at all price ranges, and they're definitely worth checking out, especially if you're suffering from back pain.
As long as you feel comfortable and fully supported, that’s all that really matters.