Basically, if you are looking for the Ferrari of gaming seats, you'll find it in the DX Racer FD01 product. Its office chair design may look a little clunky, but it makes up for it in comfort and features.
That luxury sports car comparison isn’t just hyperbole, either. The FD01 is a part of DXRacer’s formula series of racing chairs, all of which use design cues that are found in many formula cars. Short of shipping them out with a set of race-spec seatbelts, DXRacer has created a racing chair experience that’s about as close as you can get to the experience, short of jumping into a 300kmph race machine. We’re particularly impressed with the attention to detail on the FD01. It’s easy to see that DXRacer has gone the extra mile to pay attention to all those little bits and pieces on this chair, just to make sure that it is as much of a race-spec chair as it is a gaming chair.
This chair is fully adjustable, comes in a variety of slick color options, and is extremely mobile due to the high-quality castors it rests on.
DXRacer also offers the FD01 In quite a few color options. The way they’ve decided to tackle the design of the FD series is pretty standard, but they make up for the simple design by offering the formula series in a range of exciting color options. While this does net them quite a few points as far as visuals are concerned, is it enough to set them apart from the competition?
DXRacer Formula Series DOH/FD01/N Newedge Edition
- When considering all that the DX Racer FD01 has to offer, it's clear that it's adjustability (and to be honest, its versatility in general) is one of its best features. No matter what position you prefer to play in, this chair can accommodate it.
- There’s plenty of functionality to go around when it comes to most formula series chairs, but the FD01 aims to give you the whole package right up front. The unique design of this chair is enhanced by the subtle ergonomic aids that DXRacer has built into it. From the gentle curve in the backrest to dips in the shoulder braces, this formula series chair keeps you fresh and relaxed while you churn out those intense hours of game time. DXRacer also adds its signature toe rests to the FD01 and all of the formula series chairs, which is a pretty good addition.
- Another great feature is that the assembly seems to be relatively painless. If you've ever succeeded at putting together boxed furniture before, you shouldn't have much of a problem with this chair. We managed to get this one up and running in about 10 minutes.
- Finally, if comfort isn't in the top 3 features, then there is a problem with the overall usability of the chair. This seat has no problem with this. The product offers full body support from the premiere headrest down to the lumbar support it provides.
What We Like about the DXRacer FD01/NE
- The DX Racer FD01 just looks good. The sleek styling and contemporary design are going to be a conversation starter to anyone who gets a look at it. The chair comes in a variety of colors to suit all tastes and sports a futuristic look that is sure to please even the most traditional gamers. For more traditional players who want their chair to blend into more of an office environment, this product has you covered. With some of the tamer color options, this chair can look like a high-end piece of office furniture. It is available in all black if you think that the red may be out of place in an office setting.
- We liked the fact that the assembly was fairly painless. The instructions were run-of-the-mill in the sense that they could have been organized a little better, but the actual work involved in getting this product set-up was minimal. You may want to assemble this in the room where you want to use it, particularly if that room is upstairs. The chair is quite heavy once assembled and may be difficult to move around if you can't simply roll it to where you want it to be.
- This chair comes with a lumbar pillow and additional headrest pillow which makes for some serious comfort. Relaxation is key to any gaming experience and that is where this product shines. It's fully adjustable back makes playing in any position not only possible but easy to achieve.
- Portability is a big plus with this seat. The chair sits on high-quality castor wheels and moving it from place to place is a breeze. We especially like this feature because the chair runs on the heavy side and may not be easily lifted by some people.
- The chair is not only fully adjustable when it comes to the back, but also the height. A big problem we see with gaming chairs is the fact that they have trouble catering to taller and heavier individuals. If you've noticed this as well, you'll want to at least check out the DX Racer FD01.
- Not everybody likes PU or real leather gaming chairs as they tend to get sweaty. Those gamers will love the breathable fabric of the FD01. it has a microsuede type of feel to it that is soft to the touch.
- This DXRacer chair is professional enough to even be suitable for use in most offices. It works great as an office chair thanks to the racer design which is ergonomic and adjustable to different heights and also wide enough for larger users, as well.
What Needs to be Worked on DXRacer FD01/NE
- Let's be honest here, the DX Racer FD01 is going to set you back. It's not like you won't be getting anything for the money, it is a high-quality product, but for those on a strict budget, this particular product may fall outside of your comfort zone. If it is within your budget, then consider the durability. This is not a chair that will break down or wear out after a few months. Even with heavy use, it will last you for years and still feel as comfortable as when you bought it. In fact, as it breaks in it may even end up feeling more comfortable the longer you have it! In other words, you will end up saving money in the long run since you won't be replacing your chair that often.
- We generally prefer audio in our gaming chairs and this particular product is strangely devoid of it. If you like your sound right in your ears without the use of headphones, this may not be the chair for you. You'll need to head out and purchase additional audio accessories if you don't already have them.
DXRacer seems to want a far more streamlined gaming chair that isn’t too cluttered by any extra features that are often found on other gaming chairs. Although, it is rather obvious that the formula series strives to achieve the bare bone aesthetic that can be found in formula and racing car seats. While you could fit aftermarket gaming chair speakers on the FD01, we do think that it defeats the ideals that DXRacer was aiming to achieve. The almost Spartan approach to the features of this DXRacer chair seems to come from its inspiration of hardcore racing chairs.
For us, what really sets this chair apart is the comfort level it provides. It's adjustability, durable armrests, and additional lumbar and headrest accessories that come standard with the product ensure that even marathon gaming sessions won't become uncomfortable eventually. We value the comfort of chairs above most other features but won't rate it above everything else collectively - but this chair has enough features to carry a recommend from us. If you value comfort, this chair is for you.
Armrests are also adjustable so you can customize your sitting and gaming experience by placing them where it feels most comfortable for you. And they are actually soft. Not super soft where your arms sink into them, but not so hard that it gets uncomfortable after a while.
The way DXRacer tackles fatigue with the formula series is to rely on the recliner, tilt, and armrests working in tandem. If you adjust any one of them, you’re best off changing the position of all of them to match each other. This allows the 4D armrests to work well with their fine position adjustments and the recliner, for a comfortable and relaxed position. If you need something a little more active, you can pull the backrest up to a more alert position and widen the armrests. This will give you a great stance for close up gaming without needing to lean into the screen in an unhealthy manner.
At the end of the day, we really like this product in spite of its price tag. It provides an unparalleled level of comfort, it looks stylish and can be easily transported. We do wish there were audio features and will look forward to seeing future models with this included - but for now, it's a great chair that you'll need to shell out for. When looking at all of the chair's features, comfort level, and styling, we will double down on our claim that this is the Ferrari of gaming chairs. If you have the money, you definitely will not end up with buyer's regret. In fact, you may even feel like this was a bargain even at the high price.
Read more about the DXRACER gaming Chair here
- Design - 7.5/107.5/10
- Comfort - 9.2/109.2/10
- Durability - 8.4/108.4/10
- Strength - 9.6/109.6/10